DECORATING A HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS


As an Interior Designer, I’m often asked to decorate homes for the holidays. I was given the delightful task of decorating a large living room and designing the dining room table. Although the rooms are not yet complete, these are photos of some of the elements I’m using.

 
Decorating large spaces for the holidays for entertaining large gatherings requires a lot of merchandise to make an impact. My choice for this more traditional home is natural greenery and red poinsettia with berries, pine cones, plaid metallic ribbons and sparkling ornaments. I’m including lots of battery operated pillar candles (for safety) and clear lights. Illuminated garlands and swags are draped around door frames and on mantles. The home owners don’t want to tend to a real fire, so I’m stacking a dozen or more pillar candles in the fire box. Each of the oversized windows will have a wreath, each trimmed with wide ribbons. We’re deliberating whether the space can accommodate more than one tree – one on each side of the rectangular room.  

 
 
 
 
In the dining room, I’m shifting the style, going for a “Winter Wonderland” look with white table cloths, the hosts’ best silver, and crystal stemware. Hanging from the chandelier, white and clear ornaments will add extra sparkle, and I’m replacing the lamps on the buffet with candelabras with white tapered candles. For the centerpiece, I’m using glittered pillar candles of various heights placed among pine cones sprayed white with silver and gold edges. This is a low profile design so guests across the table can see one another. Place holders are tiny white boxes tied with gold ribbon in ceramic that guests can take home and hang on their tree.

Holiday design choices are endless. This is just one of many. I’m using “Dreaming of a White Christmas” for my own home. (Look for the video on the right side of the page)
 
Use your imagination…look through the magazines. This time of year, they’re bursting with ideas. Robin Lechner Designs offers holiday decorating services from designing, to shopping and installation if you need help.

 

Email me at robin@robinlechnerdesigns with your questions or comments.

May your days be merry and bright,
Robin Lechner & Harley

 

1 comment:

  1. Hello Robin.
    I love the white candles, very classy. I live int he tropics so pinecones are not a local plant. I like christmas decor that gives the feel of celebration but not unique to North America.

    ReplyDelete